Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Welcome....

Hello to all. My name is Jenn and I have homeschooled my daughter, Kaity, for a total of 3 years. I am a single mom, who does not place much value on monetary things, and would rather stay home with my daughter to focus on her education than work away from home and have fancy things. I do work, but solely from home and around my daughter's time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I use a lot of material from online sources for homeschooling, I thought it would be neat to share those tools and resources and to trade ideas with other homeschooling mommys. So, here's my welcome;) And the next blog posts should not be so long!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to homeschool my daughter when, right before she started school, I noticed that the public school system had gotten out of control. Classrooms were huge, with little one-on-one interaction, and many parents used the public school system as a form of daycare. The lack of discipline these children had at home really reflected how they behaved at school. Of course, I didn't think that every public school child was like that. I could, however, guarantee that if I homeschooled my daughter she would be able to focus on her studies without focusing on the bad habits of other children.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was blessed when I found a local program for homeschooling families called Home Link. The only issue of homeschooling that I was having was making sure my daughter got plenty of interaction with other kids. Being an only child who lives 10 miles outside of the nearest town could lead to a lonely life for my daughter if I didn't find ways for her to be active with kids her own age, as well as younger and older kids. In that regard Home Link saved me and her. Last year she went to Home Link for two full days a week. She had the opportunity to take some amazing classes with some amazing kids and teachers; such as Ballet and Cooking up US History. All in all, the program has really helped to blossom our homeschooling subjects as well as provide my daughter with the necessary socialization tools that she will need.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sadly, Home Link is funded by the public school system and was this year told to make cuts. So Kaity will only be able to do 1 full day of school or up to 3 days with split classes, for a total of only 5 classes. However, the fun classes haven't gone away (according to the schedule I received) so she can still do Ballet, but her other classes will be limited.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will continue to push through, though, and work at preparing my daughter for testing next spring:) Thank you for reading my blog, and God Bless:)

No comments:

Post a Comment